2012 Highlights: UC IPM Annual Report
Honors and awards
Several members of the UC IPM Program were honored in 2012.
- UC IPM Advisor Walt Bentley received the International IPM Lifetime Achievement Award from the awards committee of the Seventh International IPM Symposium as well as the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of Applied IPM Ecologists.
- UC IPM Advisor Roger Baldwin’s research on pocket gopher control contributed to the California Department of Pesticide Regulation’s decision to bestow an IPM Innovator Award on E.&J. Gallo’s Sonoma Vineyards.
- UC IPM Advisor Lucia Varela was one of a team of 50 recognized for their work on the recent European grapevine moth eradication program in California. Varela, with UC Cooperative Extension advisors Monica Cooper and Rhonda Smith, received the USDA Animal and Plant Health and Inspection Service (APHIS) Administrator’s Award.
- The Society for Invertebrate Pathology elected UC Cooperative Extension Advisor Surendra Dara as trustee for the period 2012 through 2016.
- UC IPM Director Kassim Al-Khatib and five colleagues were honored for their paper “Wide Distribution of the Waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) ΔG210 PPX2 Mutation, which Confers Resistance to PPO-inhibiting Herbicides,” published in Weed Science.
> Next article: New advisors expand UC IPM reach